Here are people who will come and retrieve a swarm of honeybees.
When you call they will ask some questions to determine if you have honeybees or wasps. Most beekeepers do not charge to come get a swarm of honeybees because they will install them into a hive and hope to get a harvest of honey,wax,pollen and propolis. Most will refer you to an exterminator if they feel you have wasps as there is nothing we can do with them.
A swarm of honeybees is typically very gentle and not inclined to sting as long as they have not been in a location too long. If you see a swarm, call someone on the list IMMEDIATELY. the sooner we can get to a swarm, the easier it will be to retrieve.
Please DO NOT SPRAY THE SWARM WITH BUG SPRAY to make it easier to get! Remember, we place these bees in a hive to make honey. dead bees make very poor honey! ( You would be amazed at how often this happens!)
Typical questions will be:
Can you see a Grey paper nest?
Honeybees do not build nests out of paper. If you see an egg or football shaped grey mass with insects coming in and out, you have wasps.
2. Where are they located?
Most beekeepers are unwilling to do tear outs of walls to retrieve a swarm. Those that do will need a signed waiver from the homeowner stating that they understand the beekeeper will remove the bees .Generally they will make a hole in the structure to do this. It is the homeowners responsibility to find a contractor to repair the walls and pay for any repairs.If the bees are in a tree or bush, they will need to know how high in a tree or how deep inside a bush the swarm has settled. This will help them determine what equipment to bring.
Beekeepers who will come get swarms:
- Island Apiaries- All Whidbey and surrounding areas 360-331-1905 (will remove swarms from inside walls)
- Dustin Albright – Oak Harbor 360-675-3958
- Jeff Jacobsen-South Whidbey – Maxwelton, Bayview, Clinton areas H: 360 579-1980 C: 206 200-0964
- Keith Turner- Central Whidbey area Cell – 425-241-5543 Home – 360-678-6630
- Todd Peterson-Bayview and south (360) 579-1725
- Paul Neumiller-Oak Harbor and Coupeville.360-675-2567 or 360-678-2924
- Dan Maxwell -Freeland Home phone 360-331-1315 Cell phone 425-894-8610
- Gregory J. Speck- Oak Harbor 360-679-7426
- Tom Kramer-Bush Point to Clinton. 321-4912
- Sooja Nehrlich-Freeland 360-331-3175
- Rita Comfort- South Whidbey 360-661-5839 (personal cell) 360-969-2961 (Comfort Farm and Vineyard cell)
- Sue Ellen White-Clinton, Langley 360-341-2434
- Nate Steele- Coupeville 360-678-1086 hm 360-720-1523 cell
- Tim Keohane-Coupeville 360-969-1448 (will remove swarms from inside walls)